edenfalling: headshot of a raccoon, looking left (raccoon)
---------------------------------------------
Master List of Elizabeth Culmer's Fiction
---------------------------------------------

FANFICTION:

General Disclaimer: These stories are based on characters and situations created and owned by other people and corporations. I make no money from this borrowing of intellectual property, and intend no copyright or trademark infringement.

Organization: This list is organized primarily by fandom; within each fandom, it's arranged first by associated story cycles and then by writing date. Word counts and writing dates are approximations.

Content/Warning Policy: 1) I am not consistent about warnings! I use them when I remember, for a few relatively broad categories of potentially problematic content, but if something is off-page, non-explicit, or generally backgrounded, I probably won't think to note it in the metadata. 2) The things I try to warn for are explicit sex, rape, murder, torture, cannibalism, incest, depression/suicide, familial dysfunction, and occasionally also societal dysfunction (aka dystopia). Sometimes I just slap a general content warning on all my fic for a given fandom and don't label each individual fic. I also don't generally warn for violence, unless the violence in a fic is dramatically out-of-step with the violence in its source canon. 3) I don't use any content rating system unless I'm posting to a site or community that requires or encourages ratings, because I find movie-style ratings counter-intuitive when applied to written fiction, and not particularly useful for anything other than denoting the presence of explicit sex, which I already note in the metadata.

Quality Rating System: I've marked my favorite stories with asterisks, on a scale of 1 to 4. The more asterisks, the more I like the story. This doesn't necessarily mean that stories without asterisks are bad, just that I don't like them as much. Also, I am not claiming to be an arbiter of taste; you may love stories I dislike, and vice versa. I am just providing a heads-up about the ones that I think are best written and/or most interesting.

Where To Read: What I post on my journal tends to be the equivalent of a beta draft. If I have cross-posted a story literally anywhere else (except Tumblr; fic content there is just a mirror of fic content here), read the version that isn't on my journal. Versions on AO3 are definitive. If there is no AO3 version, read the ff.net version. If there is no ff.net version, read the FictionAlley version (only applicable for HP fic). Failing that, read the journal version, because that's the only one there is.

Harry Potter Fanfiction

Naruto Fanfiction

Angel Sanctuary Fanfiction

Chronicles of Narnia Fanfiction

Homestuck Fanfiction

Minor Fandom Fanfiction
(currently includes BtVS/A:tS, Daredevil (MCU), The Dark Is Rising, FF7: Mercverse AU, Inception, and Star Trek: AOS)

Miscellaneous Fanfiction
(Currently includes: American Gods, An Ash-Blonde Witch, Arthurian Mythology, Avengers (MCU), Batman, the Bible, the Black Jewels series, the Bourne trilogy, Captain America (MCU), Charlotte's Web, Code Geass, the Darkangel trilogy, Death Note, Discworld, Doctor Who, Enchanted Forest Chronicles, The Girl with the Silver Eyes, Glee, Gormenghast, Guardians of the Galaxy (MCU), Hamilton, Hexwood, The Homeward Bounders, Howl's Moving Castle, Labyrinth, Lord of the Rings, Lucifer (comics), Mad Max: Fury Road, Merlin, the Oz books, Ranma 1/2, Rise of the Guardians, Sailor Moon, Saiyuki, Seaward, Shakespeare, Star Wars, Tam Lin (Pamela Dean), White Collar, Wolf Hall, X-Men, and Yu-Gi-Oh!)

Crossover Fanfiction
(I do not cross-list crossovers and fusions under their component fandoms; this is the only place to find them. Currently includes: the Anita Blake series, ASoIaF, Avatar: The Last Airbender, the Black Jewels series, BtVS, Cardcaptor Sakura, Chronicles of Narnia, the Darkangel trilogy, The Dark Is Rising, Discworld, Doctor Who, Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Ender's Game, Gundam Wing, Harry Potter, Hikaru no Go, Homestuck, Inception, the Indiana Jones movies, Leverage, Lucifer (comics), MCU (various), Merlin, Naruto, the Oz books, Sandman, Stargate: SG-1, Star Trek: AOS, Vorkosigan Saga, Welcome to Night Vale, and a couple other things that only appear in memes rather than actual fic.)

---------------

ORIGINAL FICTION:

These stories are all mine! *grin* I use the same warning policy and quality rating system as for my fanfiction.

All Original Fiction

---------------

My various bingo cards: Cotton Candy Bingo, Round One (Blackout!); Cotton Candy Bingo, Round Two; Daredevil Bingo; Genprompt Bingo; Domestic AU Prompt List
edenfalling: headshot of a raccoon, looking left (raccoon)
It occurs to me that I never got around to pimping the current iteration of the Three Sentence Ficathon. So here, have a banner!

Photobucket

I have written a few things over the past few days, and will now crosspost them here for indexing purposes. :-)

---------------------------------------------

1. Doctordolly, Narnia, Edmund's encounter with the White Witch turns him into a mage

What Might Have Been, What May Yet Be )

---------------

2. [livejournal.com profile] silvr_dagger, Star Trek AOS, Uhura/Gaila, lost in translation.

Body Language (The Scent of Home) )

---------------

3. [livejournal.com profile] scripps, Star Trek AOS, Gaila/Jim, she's more adventurous than him which he loves.

Stranger in a Strange Land )

---------------

4. [livejournal.com profile] silvr_dagger, Star Trek AOS, Mirror!Gaila/Mirror!Uhura, plotting the revolution

Reign in Hell )

---------------

5. [personal profile] jjhunter, Any Batman-related canon, Barbara Gordon, book cart drill team

Don't Try This at Home )

---------------

6. And a continuation of the above, upon discovering the true meaning of book cart drill team:

[personal profile] jjhunter, Book Cart Drill Team -- Further Proof That Librarians Kick Ass

The Stories I Could Tell... )

---------------------------------------------

The final ficlet is slightly modified from the version posted at the ficathon, since I realized trimming five words could produce a strict-form drabble and I like strict-form drabbles.

Word counts, however, are not really the point of this ficathon. The game is structure, not length, and I failed the three-sentence restriction on two of six ficlets -- cheerfully and unrepentently for the magic!Edmund prompt, but only after much wailing and gnashing of teeth for the Mirrorverse prompt. For me and this particular set of rules, though, 67% is a pretty good success rate. I will take it.
edenfalling: headshot of a raccoon, looking left (raccoon)
Remix reveal day! I wrote three stories this year: Sacrifices (Backwards and in High Heels for [archiveofourown.org profile] aviss, Problems and Solutions (All Things in Time) for [archiveofourown.org profile] cofax, and Down in the Deep (The Index of Refraction) for [archiveofourown.org profile] significantowl.

I am going to talk about each in a separate post.

---------------

Sacrifices (Backwards and in High Heels): 1,850 words, April 2012. Barbara Kean has been making sacrifices for a very long time. Her marriage and her children are the latest tithe to the city that owns her heart. Barbara Kean-Gordon/Jim Gordon.

Remixed from Sacrifices, a fic by [livejournal.com profile] aviss.

Aviss and I matched on Inception and Naruto. You will notice I failed to write in either of those fandoms. This is partly because she is a strong KakaIru shipper, and as I have said before and will doubtless say again, the logic of that pairing escapes me (though I love both characters individually!), and because she is also an Arthur/Eames shipper and... I don't know, I just wasn't feeling romantic when I first looked through her stories and particularly not slash romantic. I was feeling very, very gen, and also very female-centric. This was almost certainly a reaction to my Narnia Big Bang fic, which I was fighting at the time -- it only has three female characters and they don't even meet each other, let alone talk, and I just really, really wanted to write something that wasn't all about men.

This is in no way a negative comment on Aviss's work! It's just the mood I was in for reasons completely external to Remix.

And I happened to open Aviss's one Nolanverse Batman fic while in that mood, and Barbara Kean-Gordon practically leaped off the page, grabbed me, shook me, and said, "Write MY story, dammit!"

So I did.

At first I thought I'd keep the story the same and write Barbara's perspective on the divorce, and what it felt like to have Jim abandon her for Gotham and for Batman, but I didn't start remixing immediately. (As I said, I was busy fighting my Narnia Big Bang, which was due first.) And when I came back, I was even more preoccupied with the limitations of gender roles and stuff, and I thought to myself, "What if Barbara was the police commissioner, and Jim was the civilian spouse? What would that do to the implications of their marriage and their divorce?"

So I wrote that instead.

Because I was switching something as major as basic story roles, I kept pretty much everything else exactly the same, just expanded a bit and altered where I thought the gender of the POV character would change things. So Barbara thinks about Rachel Dawes and about her daughter, as well as about Harvey Dent, Jim, and the Batman. And she's clearly had more opposition in her rise to power than Jim did, and has more understanding of what it's like to play the role of scapegoat -- because that is what happens to women in positions of power, more so than to men. Which sucks.

In retrospect, this was a mean thing to write as a remix. My story carries the implication that I disliked Aviss's work and wanted to 'fix' it. Which is not true! Her story is a very good character study! I just, for unrelated reasons, was in a mood where I really needed to say things about women in power and gender roles and I used her story as a vehicle for my own issues.

Sorry about that. :-(
edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (Default)
---------------------------------------------
Writing for Femgenficathon 2008
---------------------------------------------

I am always fascinated by other people's writing processes, since everybody seems to have different habits (and then any given story may demand a totally different process from one's normal pattern). I also find ficathons interesting, since they're more directed than random plot bunnies.

So. This is how I dreamed up and then wrote The Affairs of Dragons for Femgenficathon 2008, with a lengthy digression into Doctor Who and a brief digression into The Dark Knight.

tl;dr rambling on writing processes )

---------------

And that is one way I write stories.

...

In real life news, I refused and returned the unwanted books, turned the bad checks over to my bank (which will try ordering them again), bought two more shirts, bought some wire for making Christmas ornaments, and bought two more Doctor Who DVDs, thus exhausting the stock of my local Borders. *sigh* I really need to spend less money, but I suppose I could say that I'm doing my part to support the economy?

(I'm not really in debt -- I pay off my credit card bill in full every month -- so I suppose it's not as bad as it sounds to me. But my family will definitely be getting stories and homemade ornaments for the holidays this year, rather than presents that cost actual money.)
edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (Default)
---------------------------------------------
Writing for Femgenficathon 2008
---------------------------------------------

I am always fascinated by other people's writing processes, since everybody seems to have different habits (and then any given story may demand a totally different process from one's normal pattern). I also find ficathons interesting, since they're more directed than random plot bunnies.

So. This is how I dreamed up and then wrote The Affairs of Dragons for Femgenficathon 2008, with a lengthy digression into Doctor Who and a brief digression into The Dark Knight.

tl;dr rambling on writing processes )

---------------

And that is one way I write stories.

...

In real life news, I refused and returned the unwanted books, turned the bad checks over to my bank (which will try ordering them again), bought two more shirts, bought some wire for making Christmas ornaments, and bought two more Doctor Who DVDs, thus exhausting the stock of my local Borders. *sigh* I really need to spend less money, but I suppose I could say that I'm doing my part to support the economy?

(I'm not really in debt -- I pay off my credit card bill in full every month -- so I suppose it's not as bad as it sounds to me. But my family will definitely be getting stories and homemade ornaments for the holidays this year, rather than presents that cost actual money.)
edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (Default)
I am finally attempting to buckle down and write a [livejournal.com profile] femgenficathon story. The trouble is, I have two options and I like them pretty much equally.

Option 1: "The Affairs of Dragons," which is a mostly humorous story about how Morwen met Kazul and moved to the Enchanted Forest. Featuring nine cats, a runaway princess, a knight, and a rather important knick-knack.

Option 2: "Obstruction of Justice," which is an attempt to follow Anna Ramirez's descent into the morass of the Gotham mob, and her first tentative steps back toward honesty and self-respect. Featuring Detective Flass; Carmine Falcone; Salvatore Maroni; Harvey Dent; Jim Gordon; Commissioner Loeb; Esperanza and Marisol Ramirez (Anna's mother and little sister); and Josh Kilpatrick (Anna's partner). Probable cameos by Rachel Dawes and the Batman.

...

The thing is, I am going to finish both of these stories, and they were both inspired by my assigned theme quote, so they were both started with the intention of posting them to this year's [livejournal.com profile] femgenficathon. So it's kind of a coin toss as to which one catches my attention more this coming week, because whichever one I finish first is going up as my submission.
edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (Default)
I am finally attempting to buckle down and write a [livejournal.com profile] femgenficathon story. The trouble is, I have two options and I like them pretty much equally.

Option 1: "The Affairs of Dragons," which is a mostly humorous story about how Morwen met Kazul and moved to the Enchanted Forest. Featuring nine cats, a runaway princess, a knight, and a rather important knick-knack.

Option 2: "Obstruction of Justice," which is an attempt to follow Anna Ramirez's descent into the morass of the Gotham mob, and her first tentative steps back toward honesty and self-respect. Featuring Detective Flass; Carmine Falcone; Salvatore Maroni; Harvey Dent; Jim Gordon; Commissioner Loeb; Esperanza and Marisol Ramirez (Anna's mother and little sister); and Josh Kilpatrick (Anna's partner). Probable cameos by Rachel Dawes and the Batman.

...

The thing is, I am going to finish both of these stories, and they were both inspired by my assigned theme quote, so they were both started with the intention of posting them to this year's [livejournal.com profile] femgenficathon. So it's kind of a coin toss as to which one catches my attention more this coming week, because whichever one I finish first is going up as my submission.
edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (question marks)
Am attempting to work out what Medicare and/or Medicaid would and would not cover in treatment for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), and also what that treatment (inpatient bone marrow transplant surgery plus outpatient care plus follow-ups, plus maybe doing it all over again if you're in the 40% who don't die but don't recover either) would cost.

I cannot make heads or tails out of the stupid websites. Are they trying to be deliberately obfuscatory?

...

It's government. Probably they are.


(This is for a fic, btw, but... my uncle actually has MDS. He found out a couple months ago, and will probably start treatment at the University of Minnesota hospital in October. They told him that if he gets no treatment, he has a 50% chance of dying within the next two years. If he does get treatment, he has a 20% chance of complete failure [and therefore, presumably, death], a 40% chance of a complete recovery, and a 40% chance of, well, something in between. I am praying for him.)
edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (question marks)
Am attempting to work out what Medicare and/or Medicaid would and would not cover in treatment for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), and also what that treatment (inpatient bone marrow transplant surgery plus outpatient care plus follow-ups, plus maybe doing it all over again if you're in the 40% who don't die but don't recover either) would cost.

I cannot make heads or tails out of the stupid websites. Are they trying to be deliberately obfuscatory?

...

It's government. Probably they are.


(This is for a fic, btw, but... my uncle actually has MDS. He found out a couple months ago, and will probably start treatment at the University of Minnesota hospital in October. They told him that if he gets no treatment, he has a 50% chance of dying within the next two years. If he does get treatment, he has a 20% chance of complete failure [and therefore, presumably, death], a 40% chance of a complete recovery, and a 40% chance of, well, something in between. I am praying for him.)

Profile

edenfalling: stylized black-and-white line art of a sunset over water (Default)
Elizabeth Culmer

June 2017

S M T W T F S
    12 3
4 5 67 8 9 10
11 1213 1415 1617
18 1920 21 2223 24
252627282930 

Tags

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags